Come Square Dance, Inc
• Walk to music!
• Square dancing is “an activity that brings all ages together.”
• Square dancing builds community, gives people the opportunity to make new friends, and exercises both our minds and our bodies.
• Square dancing is a way of connecting with other people — it is face-to-face connecting--that personal contact which is often missing in today’s digital world.
Why Square Dance?
Modern Square Dancing can impact and enrich your life in many positive ways!
• First, it's fun. The exhilaration of eight people dancing together in quick time for a common purpose is unparalleled. So much in life is serious; Modern Square Dancing is just fun!
• It's sociable. Square dancing involves a social component that independent fitness endeavors do not. Participants are given the opportunity to develop strong social ties that contribute to their self-esteem and a positive outlook. Many people have made life-long friends at square dances.
• It's mentally stimulating. People who start Modern Square Dancing soon realize that it's a "thinking person's activity." The interaction with the caller and the other dancers to complete a movement successfully keeps the mind sharp, focused, and challenged.
• It is an escape from all the worries of the day. Modern Square Dancing is the perfect respite from the anxieties that surround us all. You will find yourself dancing to many different types of popular music, including current rock, jazz, and country & western.
• It's good moderate exercise. In one evening of square dancing a person can walk three to five miles, providing the right amount of movement for many people.
• It's non-competitive. Square dancers dance for the excitement of working through the sequences successfully. There are no "winners/ losers/champions," just people having fun!
• It's inexpensive. The cost of an evening of Modern Square Dancing is less than just about any other form of outside entertainment.
• It's an activity the whole family can enjoy. If you have children old enough to follow instructions (usually 10 or older), they can participate right along with the adults. Some areas have groups specially designed for teen and youth dancers.
If you haven't square danced since you were in school, you haven't seen Modern Square Dancing!
by Eric Henerlau
reprinted from page 8 American Square Dance. October 2013
Reason to join square dancing: Vitamin F
FUN, FELLOWSHIP, NEW FRIENDS, FITNESS, FUN!
Do it! Come square dance! Contact us now.
a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization
What is FUN about square dancing?
Square dance benefits include such things as physical and mental health. Does your doctor tell you to get more exercise? Try square dancing. Do you not have much to do on the weekends or week nights? Try square dancing. Have you lost touch with old friends or want to make new friends? Try square dancing. Are you young, old, married, single, or divorced and want new excitement? Try square dancing. Square Dancing hits the nail on the head relating to people's social and friendship needs.
Modern square dancing is dancing to a specified set of directions that are called to music. Dances are held in fire-house halls, schools, church or community centers where non-alcoholic refreshments are served. Square dance calls are in English and are standard throughout the world in Europe, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand as well as in all 50 states and Canada.
There are many active clubs throughout the country. Square dancers have found the secret of keeping mentally and physically healthy and alert while having fun. You can dance with different people throughout each evening of dancing and can dance several times a week. Square dancing is "exercise to music" and is an integral part of a weight-maintenance plan and can keep muscles and joints moving, which is a great way to dance away soreness. People can square dance regardless of their health. People with hip and knee replacements, with heart problems, and those missing a limb can still square dance.
Square dancing increases mental alertness because dancers never know the order of the calls and must listen as the callers' commands. Square dancing is eight people working together and having fun to keep the square going. Of utmost importance, square dancing is a fun diversion from the stress of a job or family. Square dancing is for all ages.
Square dancers travel throughout the country and abroad, take square dance cruises, attend weekend camping dances, and entertain residents of assisted living and rest homes. Lastly, square dancing is very inexpensive with the average price of a dance around $5.00 including no-cost refreshments. Square dancing is FUN. Go ahead and get square dancing for the musical FUN and friendships.
by Patrick Demerath Published in American Square Dance, May, 2016, pgs. 8-9.
Check the "Learn to dance" page.
Preserving the heritage of square dancing by offering classes to people who would like to learn to square dance!
"Where is there square dancing in Minnesota?"
"Where can I learn to square dance in Minnesota?"
Questions often asked:
Where is there square dancing in the metro area?
Where can I find square dancing in Minnesota?
How do I learn to square dance?
Statewide information can be found on http://www.squaredancemn.com/?page_id=102
• Want to host a square dance for beginners?
• How about a square dance for your family reunion? Your company picnic? Your wedding dance? A neighborhood get together? A church group?
Contact us and we'll help you hire a square dance caller and have a fun square dance party!
Call 952-472-0006 from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
or contact us via the form on the "Contact" page.